1. A bad excuse is
worse than none. 糟糕的藉口還不如沒有。
2. A bad workman
quarrels with his tools. 拙匠常怪其器不精。
3. A bird
in hand is worth two in the bush.
4. Actions speak louder than
5. A crowd is not
6. A contented mind is a
perpetual feast. 知足常樂。
7. A drowning man will
catch at a straw. 溺水胡抓草，病急亂投醫。
8. A friend in
need is a friend indeed. 患難見真情。
9. A friend
to everybody is a friend to nobody.
10. After a storm comes a calm.
11. A good medicine tastes
12. A liar is not
believed when he speaks the truth.
13. All good things come to an
14. All roads lead to Rome.
15. A man is known by the company he
16. An apple a day
keeps the doctor away. 一天一個蘋果，醫生遠離我。
April showers bring May flowers. 飲水思源。
stitch in time saves nine. 及時行事，事半功倍。
19. A storm in a teacup. 小題大做
20. As a man sows, so he shall reap.
21. A clean hand wants
no washing. 清者自清，濁者自濁。身正不怕影子斜。
22. A young
idler, an old beggar. 少壯不努力，老大徒傷悲。
23. An ass
in Germany is a professor in Rome.
24. A leopard does not change its
25. A clear conscience is a
soft pillow. 平生不做虧心事，夜半敲門心不驚。
26. As a man
makes his bed so must he lie. 自做自受。
little bird wants but a little nest.
28. Ambition can creep as well as soar.
29. All for one, one for all.
30. Accidents will happen.
31. All's well that ends well.
32. A penny at a pinch is worth a
33. A good beginning is
half the battle. 好的開始是成功的一半。
34. A rolling
stone gathers no moss. 滾石不生苔，轉業不聚財。
watched pot never boils. 心急水不沸，欲速則不達。
baited cat may grow as fierce as a lion.
37. A burnt child dreads the fire.
38. A cock is bold on his own
39. A crooked stick will
have a crooked shadow. 上樑不正下樑歪，中樑不正倒下來。
deceitful peace is more hurtful than an open
41. A fond mother produced
42. A fool may
give a wise man counsel.
44. A good name is sooner
lost than won. 學壞容易學好難。
45. A good shift may
serve long, but it will not serve ever.
46. A guilty conscience needs no
47. A hedge between keeps
friendship green. 君子之交淡如水，小人之交甜如蜜。
journey of a thousand miles begins with a single
49. A little fire burns up
a great deal of corn. 星星之火可以燎原。
50. A little
gall spoils a great deal of honey.
51. A little leak will sink a
great ship. 牽一髮而動全身。千丈之堤潰於蟻穴。
52. A little
neglect may breed great mischief.
53. A man among children
will be long a child. 近朱者赤，近墨者黑。
54. A man
apt to promise is apt to forget. 輕諾者，信必寡。
A man at five may be a fool at fifteen.
56. A man is one who is faithful
to his word. 一言九鼎。君子一言，駟馬難追。
57. A man should
take as companion one older than himself.
58. A miss is as good as a mile.
59. A near neighbor is better than
a distant cousin. 遠親不如近鄰。
60. A slow fire
makes sweet malt. 慢工出細活。事緩則圓。
61. A thing
begun is half done. 萬事起頭難。
62. After delay
comes a let. 福無雙至，禍不單行。 屋漏偏逢連夜雨，船破又遇對頭風。
After supper walk a mile. 飯後三百步，不用開藥鋪。
All cry and no wool. 只聽樓梯響，不見人下來。
65. All is
not gold that glitters. 不是會亮的就是金子。
66. All lay loads on a willing
67. All the winning
is in the first buying. 先下手為強。
68. All things
are easy that are done willingly.
69. An empty sack cannot stand
70. An eye for an
eye, and a tooth for a tooth. 一報還一報。以牙還牙。
An ill tongue may do much. 話到口邊留半句，理從是處讓三分。
72. An old
man's sayings are seldom untrue.
73. Anybody can make mistake.
74. At a great bargain, make a
75. Avoid evil and it
will avoid you. 天下本無事，庸人自擾之。
76. A little
learning is a dangerous thing.
77. A little pot is soon hot.
78. A barking dog never bites.
79. A great man cannot brook a rival.
80. A man's reach should exceed
his grasp. 量力而為。
81. A new broom sweeps
82. A penny saved is a penny
earned (gained). 省一文就是賺一文。
83. A straw shows
which way the wind blows. 觀微知著。一葉知秋。
little neglect may breed great mischief.
85. All his geese are swans.
86. All is fish that comes to my net.
87. All his swans are geese.
88. A candle lights others and
consumes itself. 燃燒自己，照亮別人。
89. A common
danger causes common action. 同仇敵愾。
constant guest is never welcome.
91. A disease known is half
92. A good beginning
makes a good ending. 善始者必善其終。
93. A hero is
known in the time of misfortune. 時勢造英雄。
liar is worse than a thief. 說謊比偷竊更可惡。
little is better than none. 聊勝於無。
96. All are
not saints that go to church.
97. All cats love fish but fear
to wet their paws. 貓都愛吃魚，卻怕爪弄濕。
98. All is
fair in war. 兵不厭詐。
99. A man can't whistle
and drink at the same time. 一心不能二用。
Ambition never dies until there is no way out.
101. Appearances are deceitful.
102. A road of a thousand miles
begins with one step. 行遠必自邇。
103. A secret
between more than two is no secret.
104. A stumble may prevent a
105. A willful man will have his
106. A wise man cares not for
what he can't have. 智者不作非分之想。
107. A wise man
will make tools of what comes to hand.
108. A word is enough to the wise.
109. A word spoken is an arrow let
110. A good book is the
purest essence of a human soul.
111. A man may lose more in an
hour than he can get in seven. 易失難得。
tale never loses in the telling. 加油添醋。
All gains are made at some sacrifice.
114. All is not lost that's in
115. A hard beginning makes a
good ending. 先苦後甘。
116. All things are
difficult before they are easy. 萬事起頭難。
All are not thieves that dogs bark at.
118. A lion at home, a
mouse abroad. 在家一條龍，出外一條蟲。
119. A thorn in
one's side. 眼中釘，肉中刺。
120. Apples of gold in
pictures of silver. 錦上添花。
Proverbs 英文諺語 www.eng.fju.edu.tw/etc/quiz/proverbs.htm